Evaluation of the role of primary fixation of tibial fractures in the development of aseptic tibial nonunion
Keywords:tibial fractures, primary osteosynthesis, nonunion
AbstractThe article deals with the types of primary osteosynthesis and their importance for the development of nonunion in 76 patients with aseptic nonunion of shin bones. The principles of application of different types of fixation in various clinical situations, the principles of prevention of tibial nonunion are formulated. The primary osteosynthesis of tibial fractures is a very important but not the only factor that determines the development of nonunion. The analysis of the results of comprehensive treatment for tibial fractures showed several opportunities to improve the results and reduce the percentage of nonunions. In high-energy, and especially open lesions, the method of choice could be the fixation by ring clamps of a needle-rod type as a primary and final method.
Özkan S., Nolte P.A., van den Bekerom M.P., Bloemers F.W. Diagnosis and management of long-bone non-unions: a nationwide survey. Eur. J. Trauma Emerg. Surg. 2018. № 15. Р. 9-12. DOI: 10.1007/s00068-018-0905-z.
Weber C.D., Hildebrand F., Kobbe Ph., Lefering R., Sellei R.M., Pape H.-Ch. Epidemiology of open tibia fractures in a population-based database: update on current risk factors and clinical implications. Eur. J. Trauma Emerg. Surg. 2018. Р. 1-9. doi.org/10.1007/s00068-018-0916-9.
Swanson E.A., Garrard E.C., O’Connor D.P., Brinker M.R. Results of a systematic approach to exchange nailing for the treatment of aseptic tibial non-unions. J. Orthop. Trauma. 2015. № 29(7). Р. 407-411.
Balasuberamaniam P., Milner K., Milner K., Kunz M. Lithium for Fracture Treatment (LiFT): a doubleblind randomised control trial protocol. BMJ Open. 2020. № 10. Р. 031545-12. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-031545.
Rodriguez-Collazo E. Practical Management of the Orthofix Truelok External Circular Fixator in Deformity Correction and Lower Limb Salvage. International Journal of Orthoplastic Surgery. 2019. 2(2). Р. 55-61. DOI: https://doi.org/10.29337/ijops.38.
Zi-Chen Hao, Yan Xia, De-Meng Xia, Yun-Tong Zhang and Shuo-Gui Xu. Treatment of open tibial diaphyseal fractures by external fixation combined with limited internal fixation versus simple external fixation: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019. № 20. Р. 311-320. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-019-2679-9.
Copyright (c) 2020 TRAUMA
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.