Bilocal osteosynthesis of the tibia with ring fixators in the treatment of nonunions
Keywords:tibia nonunion, bilocal osteosynthesis
Background. Bilocal extra-focal osteosynthesis with ring fixators (RF) of tibial nonunion is a method used by some authors. But there are no systematized guidelines for its implementation. This work is devoted to solving this issue. The purpose was to improve the results of the treatment of nonunions of the shin using RF constructions for bilocal osteosynthesis in complex treatment. Materials and methods. Generalized data of treatment of 17 patients with septic nonunions of the shin bones, in the treatment of which the technology of bilocal osteosynthesis with RF was used. According to the Non-Union Scoring System, all cases required complex specialized medical care with a possible positive result (scores from 51 to 75). Bilocal osteosynthesis was part of a complex surgical procedure. The important parts were as follows. The so-called blood-saving tactic was used. We used a squeezing and hemostatic tourniquet, tranexamic acid, and a topically hemostatic sponge. The rings were mounted on solid rods. Semi-closed osteotomy of the anterior and lateral walls was performed from a small incision in a fan-shaped chisel; the posterior wall of the bone was intersected by the levator with a comminuted fracture. Before comparing the reduced fragment with the fragment, they were processed. Conservative therapy was aimed at preventing infection, improving vascular activity, and normalizing metabolic processes. Conclusions. The obtained result of bilocal osteosynthesis of nonunions of the tibia should be considered encouraging and requires further application and study.
Koutsostathis S.D., Lepetsos P., Polyzois V.D., Pneumaticos S.G., Macheras G.A. Combined use of Ilizarov external fixation and Papineau technique for septic pseudoarthrosis of the distal tibia in a patient with diabetes mellitus. Journal Diabetic Foot & Ankle. 2014. Vol. 5. https://doi.org/10.3402/dfa.v5.22841
Kawakami R., Ejiri S., Hakozaki M., Hatashita S, Sasaki N., Kobayashi Y., Takahashi Y., Konno S.I. Surgical treatment options for septic non-union of the tibia: two staged operation, Flow-through anastomosis of FVFG, and continuous local intraarterial infusion of heparin. Fukushima Journal of Medical Science. 2016. Vol. 62. № 2. Р. 83-89. https://doi.org/10.5387/fms.2016-5
Lin S., Hammerberg M., Stahe P.F., Hak D.J. Surgical site infection after open reduction and internal fixation of tibial plateau fractures. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology. 2014. Vol. 24. I. 5. Р. 797-803. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-013-1252-8.
Mills L., Tsang J., Hopper G., Keenan G., Simpson A.H.R. The multifactorial etiology of fracture nonunion and the importance of searching for latent infection. Bone Joint Res. 2016. Vol. 5. P. 512-519. doi: 10.1302/2046-3758.510.BJR-2016-0138.
O’Halloran K., Coale M., Costales T., Zerhusen T., Castillo R.C., Nascone J.W., O’Toole R.V. Will My Tibial Fracture Heal? Predicting Nonunion at the Time of Definitive Fixation Based on Commonly Available Variables. Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 2016 Jun. Vol. 474. № 6. Р. 1385-95. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-016-4821-4
Погоріляк А.Й., Рушай А.К., Варін В.В., Борзих О.В. Спосіб профілактики втягнутого рубця при пластиці кісткових дефектів за Ілізаровим. Патент № 49255. Україна, МПК A61K 31/00, A61P 19/00. Опубліковано: 16.09.2002. Режим доступу: http://uapatents.com/3-43951-sposib-autoplastiki-nespravzhnikh-suglobiv-velikogomilkovo-kistki-malogomilkovoyu.html
Рушай А.К., Погоріляк А.Й., Варін В.В., Борзих О.В. Спосіб остеотомії при пластиці дефекту довгих кісток за Ілізаровим. Патент № 62162. Україна, МПК A61K 31/00, A61P 19/00. Опубліковано: 15.12.2003. Режим доступу: http://uapatents.com/2-62162-sposib-osteotomi-pri-plastici-kistkovikh-defektiv-dovgikh-kistok-kincivok-za-ilizarovim.html
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.