Substantiation of the method for determining the clinical and radiographic parameters of the hip joint in patients with cerebral palsy
Keywords:cerebral palsy, hip joint, hip torsion, neck-shaft angle, radiographic indicators
Background. The difficulties of diagnosis that arise when choosing therapeutic measures aimed at preventing sublu-xation, dislocation, and contractures of the hip joint in patients with cerebral palsy are a topical object of the research. The purpose was to improve the results of the diagnosis of the hip joint pathology by establishing objective radiographic parameters. Materials and methods. The total number of patients was 20 (40 joints), 10 boys and 10 girls aged 3 to 15 years. Sixteen joints were operated. Radiographically, we have determined neck-shaft angle and torsion of the thigh, projection and true according to Koval (using tables), acetabular angle, angle of inclination (Sharpe’s angle). Hip torsion was determined clinically according to Ruwe. Torsion was evaluated intraoperatively in our own way (patent No. a200512793). All patients were examined using our method (patent No. 137567). Results. Using the Student’s t-test for independent samples, the parameters of the hip joints were compared and significant differences were found between the neck-shaft angle in the standard position and the neck-shaft angle in our own position (p < 0.05), as well as between the neck-shaft angle in the standard position and the neck-shaft angle true according to Koval (p < 0.05). According to Fisher’s test, it was found that the torsion according to Ruwe and the torsion according to Koval are significantly different (p < 0.05): Femp 1.87 > Fkr 1.7. Using the method of odds ratio (OR), we determined that the sensitivity of torsion measurement by Ruwe was 0.7, the specificity of torsion measurement by Ruwe was 0.83 (OR = 11.67, confidence interval [1.94–70.18]) indicating that the chance of getting a coincidence by measuring torsion by Ruwe is 11.67 times higher than accor-ding to Koval, compared with intraoperative data. A well-defined amount of torsion of the thigh according to Ruwe provides true indicators of the hip joint using our own method. Conclusions. The own method provides the determination of objective clinical and radiographic (diagnostic) parameters in patients with patho-logy of the hip joint. When performing one roentgenogram, it is possible to define all basic parameters of the hip joint (torsion of the hip, neck-shaft angle, Wiberg’s angle, Reimers’ index, index of vertical migration, acetabular angle, angle of inclination) and to standardize examinations of patients with cerebral palsy who are subject to screening throughout the whole period of their development. In this way, you can get radiographic indicators of patients with severe neuromuscular disorders (Gross Motor Function Classification System levels III and IV).
Upadhyay S.S., Burwell R.G., Moulton A., Small P.G., Wallace W.A. Femoral anteversion in healthy children. Application of a new method using ultrasound. J. Anat. 1990 Apr. 169. 49-61. PMID: 2200768; PMCID: PMC1256956.
Ruwe P.A., Gage J.R., Ozonoff M.B., DeLuca P.A. Clinical determination of femoral anteversion. A comparison with established techniques. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 1992 Jul. 74(6). 820-830. PMID: 1634572.
Коваль Д.Е. Торсія стегнової кістки в нормі і при вродженому вивиху стегна [дисертація]. Київ: ДУ «Інститут травматології та ортопедії НАМН України», 1965. 119. 186 с.
Гошко В.Ю., Науменко Н.О., Чеверда А.І., Яцуляк М.Б., Немеш М.М., винахідники; ДУ «Інститут травматології та ортопедії НАМН України», патентовласник. Спосіб визначення клініко-рентгенограмометричних показників кульшового суглоба у пацієнтів з патологією кульшового суглоба. Патент України № 137567. 2019, жов. 25.
Гошко В.Ю., Дубравський В.В., винахідники; ДУ «Інститут травматології та ортопедії НАМН України», патентовласник. Спосіб визначення величини кута торсії шийки стегнової кістки та пристрій для його здійснення. Патент України № a200512793. 2008, січ. 10.
Chung C.Y., Lee K.M., Park M.S., Lee S.H., Choi I.H., Cho T.J. Validity and reliability of measuring femoral anteversion and neck-shaft angle in patients with cerebral palsy. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2010 May. 92(5). 1195-1205. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.I.00688. PMID: 20439666.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.