Evaluation of Flextra® efficiency in patients with lateral elbow and Achilles tendinopathies
Keywords:lateral elbow tendinopathy, Achilles tendinopathy
Background. The purpose of the study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of the combination use of Flextra® and extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) or ESWT alone from the standpoint of clinical and structural evolution of tendinopathies (Achilles and lateral elbow tendinopathy). Materials and methods. The study was conducted at the premises of the Medical Center “European Orthopedics” in Kyiv for 2020–2021. Seventy-four patients (39 women and 35 men, mean age of 42.7 ± 5.4 years) were examined, they were randomly divided into four groups. The first group included patients with Achilles tendinopathy and the second one — those with lateral elbow tendinopathy. Both groups received two Flextra capsules a day for 90 days and underwent a course of ESWT. The third group included individuals with Achilles tendinopathy and the fourth group — patients with lateral epicondylitis, who underwent the same course of ESWT (7 procedures). Results. The study showed that taking Flextra® in combination with ESWT has a statistically significant effect on the structure and clinical symptoms of various tendinopathies. In patients with t.calcaneus tendinopathy and epicondylitis, the drug plays an important role in the healing of tendons, which is reflected in the results of ultrasound examinations. Conclusions. Flextra® is an effective and safe drug in the treatment of Achilles tendinopathy and epicondylitis, and the additional use of ESWT provides high efficiency, especially in the initial stages of the disease.
МакНелли Ю. Ультразвуковые исследования костно-мышечной системы: Практическое руководство: Пер. с англ. А.Н. Хитровой, под ред. Г.И. Назаренко, И.Б. Героевой. М.: Издательский дом «Видар», 2007. 400 с.
Sharma P., Maffulli N. Biology of tendon injury: healing, modeling and remodeling. J. Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2006. 6(2). 181-190.
Riley G.P., Curry V., DeGroot J., van El B., Verzijl N., Hazleman B.L., Bank R.A. Matrix metalloproteinase activities and their relationship with collagen remodelling in tendon pathology. Matrix Biol. 2002. 21(2). 185-195. doi: 10.1016/s0945-053x(01)00196-2.
Dean B.J.F., Dakin S.G., Millar N.L., Carr A.J. Review: emerging concepts in the pathogenesis of tendinopathy. Surgeon. 2017. 15(6). 349-54.
Сoombes B.K., Bisset L., Vicenzino B. Efficacy and safety of corticosteroid injections and other injections for management of tendinopathy: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials: The Lancet. 2010. 376(9754). 1751-67.
Arquera А., Garcíab М., Lauciricac J.A., Riusd М., Blàviae М. Eficàcia i seguretat d’un tractament oral a base de mucopolisacàrids, collagen tipus i i vitamina C en pacients amb tendinopaties. Apunts Med. Esport. 2014. 49(182). 31-36.
Speed C.A., Richards C., Nichols D., Burnet S., Wies J.T., Humphreys H., Hazleman B.L. Extracorporeal shock-wave therapy for tendonitis of the rotator cuff. A double-blind, randomised, controlled trial. J. Bone Joint Surg. Br. 2002. 84. 509-12.
Haake M., König I.R., Decker T., Riedel C., Buch M., Müller H. et al. Extracorporeal shock wave therapy in the treatment of lateral epicondylitis: a randomized multicenter trial. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2002 Nov. 84-A(11). 1982-91.
Dinesh Agrawal, Aalok Shah, Kapil Dev Mehta, Rishi Jain, Salman Motlekar. Role of nutritional supplements in the management of tendinopathies: focus on combination of type 1 collagen, vitamin C and mucopolysaccharides. International Journal of Research in Orthopaedics. November-December 2020. Vol. 6. Issue 6. P. 1355.
Martinez-Silvestrini J.A. Chronic lateral epicondylitis: comparative effectiveness of a home exercise program inclu-ding stretching alone versus stretching supplemented with eccentric or concentric strengthening. J. Hand Ther. Off. J. Am. Soc. Hand Ther. 005. 18. 411-419. quiz 420. [PubMed] [Google Scholar].
Binh B.H. et al. A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study to Evaluate Efficacy and Safety of A Dietary Supplement Containing Mucopolysaccharides, Collagen Type I and Vitamin C for Management of Different Tendinopathies. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2014. 73. 299-299.
Ramon В., Álvarez G., Baró F., Jiménez F., Pedret С., Costa Е. A 3-Arm Randomized Trial for Achilles Tendinopathy: Eccentric Training, Eccentric Training Plus a Dietary Supplement Containing Mucopolysaccharides, or Passive Stretching Plus a Dietary Supplement Containing Mucopolysaccharides. Curr. Ther. Res Clin. Exp. 2016. 78. 1-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.